Kami menyediakan bahan maklumat mengenai dasar-dasar kerajaan serta perkhidmatan internet bagi para pelanggan.

LEAVING THIS BLOG NOW...................

As I will be on a long months' holidays starting 7th July 2010 prior to my retirement in October 2010, I will suspend my service in updating my blog on daily issues or facts of interest.

I would like to thanks everyone for having the interest in surfing my blog and sharing the thoughts with me.

Thank you to everyone.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

RM380 mln lost in 2007 through road deaths in Sarawak

Sarawak recorded a loss total of RM380.4 million due to 317 deaths in road accidents last year, said State Federal Secretary Datuk Ngah Senik.

He said this loss was due to the loss of income earners, payment of insurance claims, infrastructure repairs, legal processes and others.

45 per cent of the road deaths were motorcyclists and their pillion riders; drivers and passengers made up 26 per cent, while pedestrians - mostly school children - made up 11.4 per cent. Most of the victims were between the ages of 11 and 35.

Of the 15,184 accidents last year, 404 persons were critically injured and 317 died.

For this year (up to April), Sarawak recorded 5,192 accidents which resulted in 110 deaths and 151 critical cases.

Motorcyclists and pillion riders made up 50 per cent of the death toll, drivers and passengers - 27 per cent, and pedestrians - 14 per cent.

The government’s latest move to make it mandatory for passengers to wear rear seat belts.
A study conducted by Malaysia Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros) had shown that rear seat belts could save at least 350 lives each year.

The study also revealed that 90 per cent of vehicles in the country were already equipped with rear seat belts and that the remaining 10 per cent were given a grace period of three years to install them. The move was to ensure the safety of road users.

No comments: