A 41-year-old man here was yesterday confirmed down with Influenza A (H1N1) – the first such case reported here, and the eighth in the state.
All are imported cases.
The man is now under quarantine at the isolation ward of Miri Hospital, while his wife and three children are under home quarantine, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan said when contacted yesterday.
“The man was said to have been working at Brunei International Airport.
“He returned to Miri on Thursday from Brunei and on Friday he went to hospital for a checkup after having symptoms associated with the influenza,” said Dr Chan, who is the State Disaster Relief Committee chairman.
The case was confirmed to be positive yesterday.
The victim who is from Tudan was earlier under home quarantine before he was transferred to the isolation ward.
On Friday, a 12-year-old girl in Brunei who suffered multiple chronic complications became the first fatal case related to the influenza in the sultanate.
The girl was first admitted to a government clinic on June 14 after suffering from auto-immune hepatitis, end-stage liver failure and pneumonia.
Her condition worsened 16 days later and tests confirmed that she had Influenza A (H1N1) before she died.
The girl’s family members had been given Tamiflu vaccines and told to quarantine themselves to prevent further spread of the disease.
The total number of infections in Brunei as of Thursday was 93 cases after 27 new ones were recorded.